Flinders and the Mid north, RAA (Stuart Nicol), pg246

"To the pioneers of this community 1876-1976"

A memorial bearing this message stands beside the spacious main street of Hammond. It came just in time, while a handful of residents were still there to appreciate it.

Hammond is a Ghost town. There are empty houses, some crumbling in the face of fierce northerly winds whipping across the plain from the ramparts of the Flinders Ranges.

Taking the name of one of the sons of Governor Jervois the town stands in the middle of Willochra Plain with the Flinders Ranges as a backdrop. It was born out of the Government's relaxation of the 'No Settlement' policy above Goyder's line. Confidence rose during the 1870s as wheat growers headed north. Colonists came to the district and grew fine wheat. It was one of the busiest towns in the region during it time as the railhead community. (see The Thirsty Country)

It took longer to decline than some of its counterparts, but now it mostly full of evocative memories of a golden era late last century. Most buildings are now unoccupied, from little homes to the hotel, post office, bank, fettlers cottages and general store. Some buildings are in good condition, some are dilapidated and others are crumbling ruins.

All lying under the hot Australian sun in the great silence of Willochra's country.

Flinders and the Mid north, RAA (Stuart Nicol), pg246, reproduced with perrmission from RAA of S.A.

RAA of South Australia Website